Antique ca. 1887-1900 Francois Gaultier scroll mark bebe
bisque socket head, jointed French composition body, wide
feathered painted eyebrows, paperweight eyes lined in black, finely
painted upper and lower eyelashes, closed mouth, pierced ears, doll
marked 5, inside a scroll F.G (see below for doll mark).
Francois Gauthier began his doll company in 1860 in Saint Maurice and
Charenton, province of Seine on the outskirts of Paris, France. In
1875 he changed the spelling of his company and surname to Gaultier due to a
court lawsuit that turned out to be a mistaken identity.
Gaultier made Fashion Lady dolls, also called Poupée de Mode from
1860 to1916, Bebe's with open or closed mouth from 1879 to1900 and small All
Bisque dolls and other porcelain doll parts.
He supplied bisque doll heads to more than 54 other noted doll makers
in France; Brasseur & Videlier, Dalloz, Doléac, Falk & Roussel, Gesland, Jullien, Petit
& Doumoutier, Claude Prieur, Louis Prieur, Rabery & Delphieu, Simonne,
Thuillier and Vichy to name
In 1882 Francois eldest son Eugene joined him and the company name
became Gaultier & Fils Aine by 1885 son Emile-Jules replaced his father
and the name was changed to Gaultier Freres. From 1886 to1892
Francois Gaultier was mayor of St. Maurice, France.
Gaultier Freres joined SFBJ in 1899
and continued operations until 1916.