Antique French Lanternier Caprice doll 36"
Lanternier was founded in 1855 in Limoges, France, a city renown for it's fine
quality porcelain products, but they did not begin making porcelain doll heads
until 1915 through 1924.
Lanternier made bisque socket head Child or Lady dolls. Child dolls have a
jointed composition and wood body, lady dolls on five piece lady bodies, open
mouth with upper, lower teeth, open closed mouth, glass or paperweight eyes
lined in black, some dolls have pierced ears, wigged, in sizes 12 to 36" tall.
1918 some Lanternier doll bodies were made by M. Joseph Ortyz (Ortiz) a
successor to Gesland and produced for the Association d' Aide aux Venues de
Guerre (Association to Aid War Widows), possibly located with the Office of the
Ministry of War Pensions, at 37, 38, 39 Rue de Bellechasse from 1915+.