Fleischmann & Bloedel Dolls 1873+ German & French
Founded in Fürth, Sonneberg, Germany in 1873 by Salomon Fleischmann and Jean Bloedel (also spelled Blödel) as a factory making dolls and toys. Fleischmann & Bloedel also had branch offices in Paris, London and Lehmann & Company was their agent in Spain.
Fleischmann & Bloedel made knick knacks, dolls or figurines of porcelain, sheet metal, iron, wood, wax and papier mache, toys (a mon Mignon) that moved and played music, automatic dolls that walked and/or talked. Some dolls may have a Ferdinand Imhoff marked windup walking body. In 1899 Fleischmann & Bloedel joined the alliance of French dolls makers SFBJ (only the doll division) with Salomon Fleischmann as it’s first director until 1914. Fleischmann & Bloedel are best known for their beautiful bisque head Eden Bebe dolls.
After Mr. Bloedel passed away in 1905, Josef Berlin took over ownership and expanded the toy factory continuing the Fleischmann & Bloedel name making toys and plush animals until the 1920s. Fleischmann & Bloedel advertised in 1910+ Perlico-Perlaco mechanical works for dolls and animals, 1913 plush animals and caricature dolls with unbreakable heads. In 1914 registered Michu for felt plush toys and character dolls and in 1922 advertised Der heitere Fridolin (The happy Fridolin) an advertising character doll for a Berlin publishing company, doll mark 312.
Fleischmann & Blöedel Dolls Identified
1895 Fleischmann & Bloedel Eden Bebe mechanical walking doll 22″ tall, bisque socket head, composition body and legs with walking mechanism, jointed at neck, shoulders, elbows and wrists.
1914+ Fleischmann & Bloedel Michu celluloid head and plush body teddy doll, size ?, a celluloid head with molded curly hair, painted blue eyes, closed mouth, on a stuffed plush jointed faux fur covered body, mitt hands, attached feet, doll is unmarked, came with a round hang tag with with a child holding a Michu plush doll.