Antique Metal Head Dolls 1861-1930s

Heller 1904 Metal head Diana doll
ca. 1910 Alfred Heller, raw unpainted Metal head Diana doll

France has the first recorded patent for making dolls heads and limbs of metal in 1861 by René Poulin. In 1876 Lucien Vervelle, of France, secured a patent for dolls heads made of metal, too.  1898 Sommereisen obtained a French patent making hollow aluminum doll heads. 

Beginning in 1886 the majority of metal head dolls were made in Germany, many by doll maker’s Max Dittrich & Joseph Schön (1886-1890) and Robert Hiller (1887-1890).

German metal doll heads were made from stamped sheet metal that were welded together and then painted.  The heads were made primarily as a replacement head for bisque or China doll heads that were easily broken.

German word metallpuppenköpfe means metal doll head maker.

Antique Metal Head Dolls & Makers Identified

buschow-beck-1910-metal-head-girl-doll-face-22
ca. 1900s Buschow & Beck 22″ MINERVA blonde metal shoulder head, doll mark MINERVA

1888-1930s Buschow & Beck, German the most prolific of the German metal head doll makers. American partner was Alfred Vischer (marked Minerva).  Buschow & Beck metal head dolls are used on the Sears brand name of Wearwell dolls, Knock Out dolls and Violet dolls. 

Buschow & Beck doll mark Minerva over a helmet symbol

buschow-beck-doll-mark-minerva-helmet
ca. 1910 Karl Standfuss 1910 blonde metal head mark Juno doll face 20"
ca. 1910 Karl Standfuss 20″blonde metal shoulder head ,doll mark JUNO

1898-1930s Karl Standfuss, German, 20″ JUNO metal shoulder doll head, molded painted blonde hair, painted facial features, closed mouth, on a cloth or kid leather body, Karl Standfuss doll mark crown symbol over JUNO.

standfuss doll mark crown juno
Alred heller-1904-metal-head-diana-doll
ca. 1904 Alfred Heller 16″ blonde metal shoulder head, doll mark DiANA

1901-1910 Alfred Heller, German

Diana metal head doll, 16″ tall,  metal shoulder head doll with molded painted blonde hair, multi stroke eyebrows, stationary glass eyes, painted upper and lower eye lashes, open mouth, on cloth body, doll mark Diana D.R.G.M 160638.

heller alfred doll mark diana drmg 160638

Shop for dolls
metal doll company doll mark
Metal Doll Co doll mark Patent Pending Made by Metal Doll Co. Pleasantville, N.J.

1902-1904 Metal Doll Company of Pleasantville, NJ, USA, made entire dolls of thin steel sheet metal, fully jointed steel body, some have jointed wrists and ankles, strung with steel springs in 12 and 18″ tall, called All Steel Doll, distributed by Borgfeldt, doll mark Patent Pending Made by Metal Doll Co. Pleasantville, N.J.

1919-1920 Aluminum Doll Head Works USA, made aluminum doll heads and hands on composition ball jointed or cloth stuffed bodies, doll mark unknown or unmarked.  

1917-1930 Atlas Doll & Toy Company USA, made all metal dolls, metal doll shoulder heads, sleep eyes, wigged and metal arms on cork stuffed bodies, Atlas doll mark A.D.T. Co. In 1919 Hug Me Kid all metal doll with sleep or stationary eyes, molded hair or wigged. In 1928 Dolly Jump Rope doll who came in a metal push cart.

giebeler falk doll mark g22 Optimized
Giebler Falk doll mark six pointed star 22 US Pat.

1918-1921 Giebeler Falk Doll Corporation USA, used the trade name Gie-Fa, they made an aluminum head with a wooden body phonograph doll named Primadonna, who has a clockwork mechanical mechanism in the dolls torso, a crank handle in the neck works the turntable located in the top of the head, dolls with a metal head, hands and feet with wooden or composition bodies and entire dolls made of all aluminum.  Doll marks Gie Fa Trademark New York, NY., Aluminum Heads ~ Hands Guaranteed Unbreakable or the initial G inside a six pointed star symbol US Pat.

ca. 1920s Horsman made a metal head doll marked Horsman on a composition jointed body, but we have been unable to find any reference documentation as to his name.

1921-1935 Bucherer Doll Company – their dolls have a composition head on an all metal jointed body.  Dolls are well marked on the toroso of the body Made in Switzerland.