Swaine & Company Dolls 1910+ German
The Swaine & Company porcelain factory was established in 1810 and was located in Hüttensteinach, which today is a suburb of Sonneberg, Thüringia, Germany. In 1853 the company was split with one company named Gebruder Schoenau the other remained in the Swaine family. It was not until 1910 that Swaine began to make the high quality bisque head Baby dolls, sized 8 to 28″ tall, they are known for and continued making the dolls for a only a few years after.
Swaine is probably best known for their Baby Lori doll or Lori doll mold 232. Baby Lori came with open or closed mouth, as shown below.
Mr. William Swaine passed way in 1914. In 1923 the company name changed to Gebrüder Schoenau, Swaine & Company