François Gaultier Dolls 1860-1899 French
Francois Gauthier began his doll company in 1860 in Saint Maurice and Charenton, province of Seine on the outskirts of Paris, France. In 1875 he changed the spelling of his company and surname to Gaultier due to a court lawsuit that turned out to be a mistaken identity.
Gaultier made Fashion Lady dolls, also called Poupée de Mode from 1860 to 1916, made bisque socket head bebe child dolls with open or closed mouth from 1879 to 1899 and small All bisque dolls and other porcelain doll parts.
Gaultier supplied bisque doll heads to more than 54 other noted doll makers in France including; Brasseur & Videlier, Dalloz (Barrios successor), Doléac, Falck & Roussel, Gesland, Jullien, Petit & Doumoutier, Jumeau, House of Prieur, Rabery & Delphieu, Simonne, Thuillier and Vichy to name a few.
In 1882 Francois eldest son Eugene joined him and the company name became Gaultier & Fils Aine by 1885 son Emile-Jules replaced his father and the name was changed to Gaultier Freres. From 1886 to1892 Francois Gaultier was mayor of St. Maurice, France. Gaultier Freres joined SFBJ in 1899 and operations continued until 1916.