Heinrich Handwerck Dolls 1876-1932 German
Heinrich and Minna Handwerck dolls were produced in Waltershausen, Thüringia, Germany beginning in 1876 or 1885 until they were purchased by Kammer & Reinhardt in 1902 after Heinrich Sr. passed away at the young age of 44. The Handwerck factory was continued independently of K & R. Heinrich Sr. invented and patented in the 1880’s a machine to produce doll body parts, this meant quicker and larger quantities could be produced. Often Handwerck bodies will have a red ink stamp with the patent number.
In 1921 Heinrich Handwerck Jr. re-founded the factory in Gotha near Waltershausen. K & R continued to produce the Handwerck doll molds until at least 1932, between that time period they added “oHG” to the marking.
Heinrich Handwerck is probably best known for their Bébé dolly faced bisque head child dolls and babies, some bisque shoulder heads on kid bodies, but mostly bisque socket heads on composition jointed bodies, Handwerck also produced some celluloid dolls, too.
Heinrich Handwerck Doll Mold Numbers Identified & Trade names
29, 69, 79, 89, 99, 109, 119, 120, 139, 152, 160, 189, 199, 420
Eight pointed star + French or German words, Baby Cut, Bébé Cosmopolite, Bébé de Recalme, Bébé Superior, Made in Germany +an upside down horseshoe + Hch # H, HH, HHW, HW, Germany + HANDWERCK + Halbig, Elaine dolls, LaBelle, LaBonita and Lotti, a Lady doll ink body mark stamp D. R. Patent No. 100297 in 1897 with a Simon & Halbig doll head mold 1159.
Note: The Bébé Cosmopolite doll – only the 18″ tall doll marked Germany, Heinrich Handwerck, Simon & Halbig 1, was used for Lettie Lane’s actual doll, a mail in premium from magazine subscriptions from the Lettie Lane paper doll series in the Ladies Home Journal 1911. Kestner doll mold 171 in 18″ was also used.